Monday, June 16, 2008

A New Job

Toward the beginning of the year I was talking with my boss at PS’SOFT and he told me that the company needed me to move to California. Now I love California, but I didn’t think we could afford to live in the Bay Area, and neither I nor Stephanie wanted to move away from so much family here in Utah. I told my boss that I was not willing to move to California, and he responded that I better start looking for new job.

I was a little scared of dealing with finding a new job, knowing I had to support my family and figure out how to pay the rent. I started looking for a new job. I applied for several on Monster.com. I got my job at PS’SOFT through Monster. One job stood out from the others. It was a position as Curriculum Developer at Symantec (the former Altiris). I applied for the position and didn’t think anything of it. A little while later I got an email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview went very well and I was excited about the possibilities. The job would be based out of Lindon, so it would be a very manageable commute.

I was asked by Symantec to come to an in-person interview with some of the people I would be working with. At the same time, the hiring manager who lived in California also set up a phone interview with me for a couple of days after the in-person interview. I thought this was really good news to have both interviews, and thought there was a good chance they wanted to offer me the job. The in-person interview went very well, and the phone interview did too. At the end of the phone interview with the hiring manager, he told me that they wanted to offer me a job. I was very happy. With-in a few days they sent me an official offer letter by email. It was for a lower salary than I wanted to accept, but it was still a good offer.

In talking to Stephanie about the offer I had received from Symantec, I decided that I needed to tell them what I wanted for a Salary. I did so, and the hiring manager told me he would see what he could do. I was amazed to see that they offered me exactly what I asked for. Sometimes, it seems, you need to ask for things to get them. I think that maybe we miss out on some blessings from our Heavenly Father because we neglect to ask for them.

The transition from PS’SOFT to Symantec was seamless. My last day at PS’SOFT was on February 29th, and my first day at Symantec was on March 3rd.

I am really enjoying my position at Symantec as a Principal Course Developer.

1 comment:

mrs_stailey said...

Aunt Pepi is that really you? It's nice to see that you and Spencer have jumped on the blog bandwagon! How are guys doing?